Monday, April 20, 2020

Stimulating Some Bicycles

Pam and I had been toying with the idea of getting some used bikes for the kids to use here at Mision Surf and were thinking about spending maybe $100 on as many as we could get. We were pretty disappointed with the selection since most of the cheaper bikes were for little kids.

I had one guy who said he could make up 5 if I gave him a week, but he was a 30 minute drive away and we would be buying them virtually sight unseen. 

Then came a post by a Facebook friend asking if anyone had received their stimulus deposit so I checked and, magically, the budget for bikes went up.

I found a different guy that had better bikes and some available inventory so I IM'd him and asked him if he'd take 6500 pesos for the 5 bikes he had pictures and prices of and deliver them to us in Puerto Madero. He was a little nervous that we weren't real so he asked us to call and we did and assured him that we were ready to buy. He sent us pictures of 6 bikes he had available that we could pick from for the price including delivery and we said great. We didn't count the pictures as much as looked at the bikes so he asked if we wanted all 6 for 7000 pesos and we said yes.

He drove about 2 hours each way on a Saturday to bring us the bikes for the 7000 pesos or just under $300 USD. One of the girls, Jennifer, heard me speaking with Merril who was going to take me to the ATM to get the promised pesos so the surprise was spoiled, but it was almost better when the van pulled up and every kid was out and ready to ride.



I grabbed the tools and adjusted seats and handle bars, etc. as they rode around and around. I might have jumped on one of the small ones for a ride myself, but don't worry I found my cell phone that fell out of my pocket while I was riding a bike much too small for me and the screen is intact.






















The bikes go round and round several times a day now, and some of the staff use them to run for occasional tortillas and stuff as well.

We can't think of a better use for a portion of the stimulus money. I suppose we could have bought a lot of TP and resold it at a profit, but that's really not our style.

Please continue to follow whatever the health authorities ask you to do. Peace and love form Mision Surf Mexico and more soon...

1 comment:

  1. We are so thankful for your kind donation of bikes for the kids of Misión México. The kids love them and not only are they entertained during the coronavirus isolation, they are also getting a whole lot of exercise!! Great idea,
    ¡Muchas Gracias Amigos!

    ReplyDelete

Puebla Magica San Antonio De Ibarra

About a year ago Pam reached out to a couple who are artists from San Antonio de Ibarra which is north of Quito because they were going to h...